Consisting of nude polish topped with a crescent of opaque white on the nail tip, the French manicure is both classic and elegant: it is a perfect everyday look for your nails! And to achieve it, you don’t need an appointment at the beauty salon: with a little practice, in just 20 minutes you can have a perfect DIY French manicure at home.
• A clear base coat to protect your nails.
• A translucent nude nail polish close to the natural colour of your nails.
• A white, opaque nail polish.
• A top coat (or sealant).
• A mild, acetone-free nail polish remover.
• Cotton wool.
• Cotton buds.
• Optional: crescent-shaped nail stickers.
2. Apply a base coat to your nails and let it dry completely.
3. Then comes the trickiest part: the white crescents. You have two options:
• If you have a lot of practice or are naturally skilled, you can hand-draw these curved lines using your white nail polish brush. If the result is not quite perfect, use a nail corrector pen or a cotton bud soaked in nail polish remover for touch-ups.
• To help you the first few times, you can also use small crescent-shaped stickers (often included in French manicure kits). Apply these so they sit just beneath the part of the nail you wish to paint in white. Then apply one or two coats of white polish, depending on the desired intensity. Let the nails dry completely before carefully removing the stickers.
4. Apply two coats of the nude polish over the entire nail, covering even the white crescents, which will show through. Use three quick brushstrokes on each nail: the first in the centre, from the base of the nail to its tip, then one on either side.
5. Lastly, finish with a top coat. This will give your manicure strength and shine.